Thursday, October 7, 2010

Week Six Post

It is hard to reflect on myself as a teacher of writing because during my time in the classroom at University Elementary on Wednesday mornings I do not actually TEACH any writing, I am more of a supporter/facilitator. The students in my class are in the middle of a Ancient Greece unit and they are currently working on writing research papers. The students amaze me more and more every week with how intelligent they are, and only in sixth grade! So far, they have completed outlines with a topic, subtopics, and guiding questions. Now, they are starting their research using their outlines as a way to stay on track and be sure they are only researching relevant information that will pertain to their paper. As I walk around, I realize that when I am writing a paper I do not start with an outline and I end up researching any and every thing there is relating to my topic. It is interesting to see how I am learning from my students as well as them learning from me.
While I walk around and conference with the students I find myself trying to leave each group with a praise (something they are doing very well so far) and also a suggestion of something they need to work on. It seems to be working well so far, I will keep you all updated on how the projects are coming! I am anxious to actually read some of the papers!!

1 comment:

  1. Meredith,

    I think it is great that you said, "It is interesting to see how I am learning from my students as well as them learning from me." I agree that I have learned more about myself and the world by interacting with second graders. Younger children have a different way of handling their day to day routine and it is nice to let them rub off on us. For example, one of my students was talking to me about bugs and she was so interested in the insects and it not only allowed me to learn about bugs, but it allowed me to see how exciting it can be when someone has a hobby that they love. It made me want to get a book and learn more about something I am interested in!


    --Marisa

    ReplyDelete