Friday, October 15, 2010

Week Seven Post

I was unable to attend my field placement this past week because I was sick, but even being gone one day I feel that I missed a lot. We are starting to work on our "kidwatching" assignments and are being assigned one student to watch and begin gathering information for. I have no met my student yet, but hopefully it will be one that I get along with and who feels comfortable talking and working with me.
I have noticed that when I walk around some of the students are more hesitant than others to talk much or continue working because they seem shy or embarrassed about me standing over their shoulder. I try and talk to these students about something other than what they're working on first so they get to feel a little more relaxed and comfortable. I remember being a student and always being a little on edge when someone new was in our classroom, I always felt like they were "studying" me and what I was doing like some sort of experiment so I try and ease the students worries as much as possible.
I am finding more and more that there are things that come up in the classroom that I all of a sudden remember doing or feeling when I was a student. I think it's important as a teacher to remember the experiences you had as a student and stick with what worked and what you liked but change the things that you didn't enjoy or that made you feel uncomfortable.
Overall, I just really can't wait till I have my own classroom!! I am learning so many things and I know I still have a lot to learn but I just want to jump right into it all right now. Every time I get a new field placement I get to experience something new and learn a new technique for handling situations so I know that once I am a teacher I will learn new things each year, each day actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment