Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Week Two Post

I really enjoyed today's class. I am actually getting excited about going to classes now that we are learning such useful information that I KNOW I will use in my own classroom someday.
I really enjoyed reading through the sample passages and trying to critique the spelling; it was interesting to see that we all clung to the negative and what was wrong but we struggled to find what the student had done right. I think that is something I am going to try really hard to remember: Always start with the positive and see what the student already knows. Even as a student I remember having teachers who always pointed out the negative and pointed out my mistakes to the point where my paper was covered in red ink... not a good feeling for the student, and definitely a little disappointing and depressing as a teacher. Concentrating on the strength of the student will help us as teachers realize what we've taught correctly and what we need to spend more time teaching.
I am excited to start our field placement and begin to apply what we're learning to an actual classroom setting, and I'm also ready to find situations that I do not know how to handle and then bring them into our class and discuss the solutions so that I know for the next time. Teaching is definitely a career that take some trial and error; we will never actually know how to handle certain situations or what will come up in the classroom until we start our time in the classroom.

3 comments:

  1. Great insight of the importance of strength orientation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you brought up bringing the positives into our classroom instead of dwelling on the negatives. I think it is really important for students to receive positive reinforcement in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with always finding the positives in the classroom and figuring out what your students already know. This is because I feel that if you always dwell on the negative, you will never be able to find and positives. Nicely Done!! haha

    ReplyDelete