Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Week Four Post

Today was our first conference with our partner for our Writer's Notebooks, and I think the meetings are going to be very useful. Sometimes it helps to hear other people comment on your work because they notice things you don't, and I actually surprised myself by saying somethings out loud that I didn't even realize were floating through my head.
I randomly decided to write about reading the other day in my notebook, I started to wonder when the love and passion most children have for reading fades into the hatred of lack of time most college students have. I didn't have much to write about, instead I just jotted down a few reasons/ideas I had for why college-aged people aren't as passionate about the idea of curling up with a good book as elementary aged students seemed to be. Then, today in my field placement I noticed so many things on this subject! It's like once you write about something in your notebook, then you begin to notice that same idea all around you way more than usual. I guess my ears were just more open to the idea and my eyes were noticing things I would have otherwise looked over. Very cool!
Class today went well. I am already in love with the Craft Lesson textbook and know that I will be using that in my future classroom. My mother (who is a teacher) is already "stealing" ideas from it! It was very interesting to hear how quickly our classmates altered their lessons since they chose the same one to quickly make them into two completely different tasks. I am sure them when we are actually in a classroom full-time we will have to become very accustomed with quickly changing plans when they don't run as smoothly as we'd like.
I love all the things we are doing with children's books. I am keeping a running list of all the book titles we discuss, or Linda reads to us, just so later I can remember them. I try and write down what each story relates to as well, so with just a quick glance I am remember the story and how we tied it into class. Hope everyone has a great weekend! Go Hoosiers!!!

1 comment:

  1. Marc Brown (author of "Arthur" books) says that a distinguishing fact about writers is that they "notice" the world around them. You are living like a writer!

    ReplyDelete